Friday, July 22, 2011

What kind of mother are you?

It's been a few months since I quit my job to experience the stay-at-home bliss at my new home. A lot of women in my new complex have decided to quit their jobs to take care of their kids and I am living in a kind of suburban bubble. It has also, for the first time, given me an opportunity to talk to and mix with a lot of women from my complex and from my old circle of friends, many of whom I had lost touch with.

While the world, very broadly, generalises mothers as working and non-working, I have begun to see so many sub classes in between. Just a light-hearted look at a few kinds off the top of my head:

*The perfectionist: Hers are the kids who always go to school with sparkling white canvas shoes. Their lunches are always packed with nutritious food and their homeworks are always done. If they have to get a project finished, she starts working on it from day one and makes sure they get it right! She inspires other moms and also scares them a little bit.

*The fun mommy: She is the mommy every child wants. Always full of life and exciting things to do, she is every child's hero. She makes even work fun and interesting and is not averse to a late week night every now and then. She is also the kind who, very spontaneously, will take the kids out to the zoo or the park on weekends.

*The strict officer: Her kids, quite literally, piss out of fear in her presence. She rules the household and the kids with an iron hand and kids and husband scamper away in fear at her slightest sign of displeasure.

*The lost soul: These moms are bored out of their skulls in their avatar and are constantly wishing they were someplace else. Motherhood really does not come naturally to them and they look lost and scared most of the time, looking to someone else for guidance and deliverance.

*The scatterbrain : This is the woman who runs down the stairs in her nightie chasing after her child with her homework. Or the one who is creating a ruckus in the mall after losing a kid. Or is up half the night designing a dress for the school play the next day and then forgets to send it.

So, what kind of mommy do you think you are?

27 comments:

Aparna said...

hah hah this was funny :) Good observations! Hmmm....lemme see....I'm definitely not nos 3, 4 or 5. I'm very organized so I'm a little (only a little!) bit of no 1. I'd love to be thought of as no 2. I think I am a fun mommy, but i'll have to recheck that with my kids :))

P.N. Subramanian said...

Where do you find yourself. Charity begins at home!

Anu Russell said...

I think I am a mix between the 40% perfectionist, 20% fun mommy and 40% strict officer.

And you?

Sumana said...

I admit i am a mix of everything all the time. Come on now guess that.

BangaloreMom said...

Aparna: I have to say I am impressed.

Raju mama & Sumana : I'll tell you a secret...so am I!

Anu: LOL...can guess it by your neat classification percentage wise!

Swati said...

Is there something like Jack of all kinds ????

I am a bit of all this ..coz I can think of instances for each of these categories :D

Fun post ..loved it ..where do you categorize yourself ???

Aparna said...

Loved this categorization !!

While I would love to be just that perfect mix of 1 & 2, I am nowhere close to it. By the end of the week I am definitely leaning heavily towards No. 5, and running to the bus stop to give my daughter that missed out water bottle :) !!

Jo Anu said...

Good read... I admit Iam a right mixture of all the above categories...... God bless me

Bharati said...

Nice observations :)
I am a mix of perfectionist and a funny mom, but wondering if i am my child's hero :)..Need to check!

Vrinda Khattar said...

This is really neat...may be i have bits of all five!

Madhavi said...

I think I'm mix of all. Will act based on situation.

Priya Murali said...

I fall under n04 and not really happy abt it!

Deepa said...

Hi! I just found your blog. And I must say I love it.

I definitely belong to the last category. Hop over to my blog and you'll know why!

Gypsy Girl said...

hahah! Loved this post! Am a bit of everything. And yes, i loved the description of the scatterbrain! :)

Shuchi said...

That was a fun read.. how i wish i was no 2 ;)

shuchi
http://s-lostinreverie.blogspot.com/
www.kadambaby.com

Unknown said...

Kids scooter is one of ideal choice among parents for getting their toddlers in exercising and sports. Children like kid’s scooter because it is great method to do physical exercise for their body and mind.

kids scooters

Anonymous said...

I think I fall somewhere in between one and two. Am surely the sort who gets the homework done waaaay before time. But am also the one to take them to fun things. And oh! I think I have a bit of five too - because I lose my phone and keys some twenty times a day (it's now a joke of the house!)

Anonymous said...

Working or not, a mothers job is a tough one! And someone who is irreplacable!

bipasha said...

Bipasha: I am still trying to figure what kind of a mom i am??????????? Just switched jobs thinking the new one will be a fantastic one and now having second thought saying what can I do if a stay at home and just be a mom and try my hand at being No.2.

the publisher said...

Thanks for your grateful informations,

I am working in, asian affairs magazine. Try to post best informations like this always

India: Protests must culminate in political action

Unknown said...

Hi,
This is Tanushree Nayudu from Praxis Media Mumbai,wanted to talk in context to the brand which i handle Simba Toys. Please let me know when will be the good time to talk about this brand.

Warm Regards
Tanushree Nayudu
Tanushree.praxis@gmail.com

Unknown said...

More than Thousands of jobs are available at Pinhopes (www.pinhopes.com), a new age recruitment destination that directly connects active job seekers with employers and is focused on improving the pace, quality and reliability of the online recruitment process.

Unknown said...

hi , loved your work. we are looking for parent bloggers to write about parenting and child care for our upcoming website. if interested send a sample and contact details to anupamatej323@gmail.com

SimpleTwinkle said...

good blog to get related....i am still thinking which category i belong to..:P

Aryan-Arjun said...

Hey, visiting after a long time.
How are you doing? Scatterbrain suits me I guess!!

Aptoinn said...

I enjoyed reading this blog post. It was inspiring and informative. Thank you. nata coaching in chennai

ekun said...

Buy marijuana online Fl
buy shatter online
Buy Granddaddy Purple weed Online