Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A lesson learnt....- Part I

So kuttan had his annual day on Saturday. The day started as days such as this are wont to start. Hubby was claiming he has a sense of deja vu at the way I was rushing them to the venue. I behaved in exactly the same fashion as I did on his Sports Day. Had butterflies all over and was running around like a chicken with its head cut off shouting instructions to a bewildered kuttan and a mutinous looking hubby.

Let me put it on record here that I HATE being late and am a VERY punctual person. And the invitation explicitly read that we were supposed to be there at 9.45 AM. Now with small children, you cannot always expect things to go along expected lines. So when you tell me 9.45, I'm thinking...hmm...9.30. And considering the Bangalore traffic and the fact that we had to have breakfast at Adyar Anandha Bhavan before we got to the venue, I had the troops marching out the door at 8.45 in the morning. Hubby's protests that the venue was only one kilometre away fell on deaf years and off we went jauntily.

When we arrived at the venue, kuttan's headmistress looked positively horrified to see us so early and shooed us out telling us to come back at 10.00. I mean, does'nt anyone respect time anymore? So there we were, twiddling our thumbs, wondering what to do - a very embarrassed and indignant me, an ironic and resignedly amused hubby and an impatient, bounding ball of excitement in the form of kuttan at 9.30 in the morning. Suddenly inspiration stuck and we decided to go to a park nearby - where all the Saturday morning joggers gave us queer looks trying to understand why 3 people who look dressed in all their finery are sitting on a dew covered park at 9.30 in the morning.

15 comments:

Swati said...

Ohh yes..i used to be dead puntual before my wedding. Same kinds ....9.45 means 9.30. But no more ...I learnt my lesson ..no one expects you on /before time.And plus it gets tough with new responsibilities.

rags said...

Unlike in other parts of the world, here, the time specified is only for guidance...sigh


--rags

noon said...

Yeah - with Indian events - esp ones where I don't want to miss the beginning - it is very confusing. Do you go late just so you don't have to kill time or do you assume that they will surely start late and then regret because this one particular association may in fact start their prog on time etc! It is ridiculous - people actually ask - so is it Indian standard time 10.00 am or is it really 10.00 am - kind of questions!
I find it hard to be punctual these days and like you I feel stressed when we get delayed...Same exact scene at home on days when we have to head out early...

Aryan-Arjun said...

hmm..how old is kuttan?? You are very true about puntuality..
AM

Anonymous said...

Like Swati... before I got married I too was bitten by the punctuality bug... was always on or before time... and always got bugged with people who got even a few minutes late. But all that has changed what with having a late latif husband. I still manage to get on time most of the times and no longer get too upset when people are late... after all how long can i keep screaming at hubby?
Awaiting part 2 and you have that tag to complete you know!

Sangeetha said...

Hey, BM, where is the Part-II of ur lesson? i am checking r blog daily to see...

Sangeetha.

Just Like That said...

LOL! An unpunctual headmistress is new! Somehow I associate the species with punctuality and grim looks for latecoming. In a way,its nice to know there are aberrations.. But yeah, parking finesly dressed selves on dewy grass is unfortunate..:-D

Just Like That said...

And now.. after going from post to post to post of yours, am firmly closing your blog and getting back to work which has been neglected. I LOVED going thru your posts and am a little amazed at the soimlarities in spite of the differences. Am blog rolling you rightaway..:-D ..well, after I finish work!

Tharini said...

Now I know why there is something called Indian Standard Time. LOL!

Btw, the idea of a dew covered park in the early morning sounded soooo gorgeous.

Could you email me when you get a chance...tharinid@gmail.com.

I couldn't find an email for you on your blog.

noon said...

Where are you?

Mama - Mia said...

my first time here from JLT's blog and glad to have made it! :D

i can imagine the strnge looks, but am sure the park was fun! how did you keep kiddo from running all over the place and NOT ruining his finery and maybe yours! :p

i remember going to mall recently at 10am after dropping pa in law at apt! the darn flight was on time! and the mall's ad said it opens at 10! temptation was the 50% sale at cotton world!!

afta being shooed away with "what are they doing with a baby at this hour" looks we went to a darhsini nearby and ate!! :D had coffee and off we were again at 1030!!

its bliss to shop with such l'il crowds tho!! hehe!!

cheers!

Just Like That said...

where did my comment disappear? I know I read this amd commented- it was so funny to think of you guys sitting in the park all decked up at 9.30!!
Anyways. came here again to ask you for some advice/an opinion. please read my last post and tell!

Chiniiz n Sugarz Mom.. Swati said...

oh! the schools are not punctual any more? sad to hear that...

Swati said...

Where have you been ?

Squiggles Mom said...

That's very Indian isn't it! It's so difficult to decide what to do. BTW, my in laws turned up an hour early for my baby shower and that was a mess!