Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Me and my world

Now for a little bit about me and my world. I live and work as a software engineer in Bangalore along with my husband and my 2 and a half year old son. And before anyone asks, no we do not have any immediate family living in Bangalore. Its like women all across Bangalore are linked by an invisible thread running through them. I get and ask the same questions everywhere I go, by and to everyone I meet.

Q: So, are you working?
A:Yes.

Q:You have somebody living with you?
A: No

Q:Oh! Who takes care of the child?
A:I leave him in a daycare/with relatives/with a maid.

And then they launch into a lengthy dialogue about all the good/bad/ugly experiences they have had with that particluar brand of child care. I think all this stems from a genuine desire to reaffirm to yourself that you are doing the right thing for your child. That your child is not going to turn into some dark character or deprived for love because you chose to work. That, given the circumstances, you really have chosen the best way that there is. As for me, I always ask other women these questions because I am hoping that someone has a better solution than I do. Or because I am always hoping that someone will tell me that its ok. I really am doing everything I can and my son will turn out just fine. I am still waiting.

1 comment:

Giri said...

Hi,
It is an option excercised in a family. It is unfair to blame a working woman, as in the present circumstances it is getting increasingly important for a better living. Again better living is what you define , it all boils down to your definition of life.

Just try to ask your son whether "he is missing your presence after school", the answer might be shocking to you and I bet you will put in more hours in office :)). Again it is a definition, this time it is from your son .

Cheers,